Monday, March 2, 2015

The Proposal

February 13, 2015


When I first went to see my grief counselor in October, there was a display of art and memorabilia provided by families who had experienced pregnancy or infant loss. The exhibits change monthly, and since it was Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month, this fitting exhibit was waiting for me when I came stumbling in on that first day.


Over the last few months, my counselor has mentioned several times in passing that I have amassed such a collection of art and writing that perhaps I could create entire exhibit on my own sometime. I expressed interest a few times and finally at my last session, I told her I really was interested and wanted to talk about how to make it happen.


What she proposed was a bit more than I had in mind. In addition to hanging my art and writings for people to stop and look at while passing by, she suggested we create a workshop for others who have experienced pregnancy or infant loss. We would allow time for observing and reflecting on my art. I would speak about each piece and the process and meaning it entailed. Attendees would have an opportunity share their stories and write about which of my pieces resonated with them most. Then there would be an art session in which everyone could create art of their own. It could be modeled after mine or not.


Her plan is to schedule this all for October when Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month rolls around again. How meaningful that would be for me to commemorate Olivia one year later. It’s crazy to think that just a few months after being at my darkest, neediest point I am now talking about how I can support others through the darkest, neediest days of their lives.

The first step in making this happen is she and I each need to write proposals. Hers will detail the event much like I’ve done above. My proposal needs to explain why I wish to hold such a workshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment