Tuesday, April 7, 2015

In the Right Hands

A while ago I wrote about questioning whether I should keep seeing Dr. L or switch to a new doctor.

What I can now say is she has been so supportive of me and is working overtime to help alleviate my anxiety. Dr. L now uses an online portal that allows patients to send written messages. This is a major contributor to my peace of mind because I have direct access to my doctor rather than having to go through a nurse first. With previous pregnancies, I expressed to Dr. L that the nurses felt like gatekeepers keeping me from her. This time I shared that the portal and the direct access it provides to her is a Godsend. She revealed that messages automatically still go to nurses but when she sees one from me she grabs it and responds herself. What is even more amazing is she has responded at 10 on a Saturday night and while on vacation.

In addition to quickly responding to my concerns, Dr. L has basically let me set my own appointment schedule. I requested an appointment last Monday to coincide with my eye appointment. At first a nurse said there were no appointments available until April 9th. The next thing I knew, Dr. L sent me a message that she would add me to her full schedule on March 30th as I requested. At that appointment I said I felt weekly appointments would be best for my peace of mind and she agreed to not only see me weekly but to add me to the end of her day every Tuesday so that I wouldn't have to miss work.

Today was the most recent in my string of weekly appointments. We got to see a wiggly baby to get me through the next few days. Next week, at our request, we'll draw blood for the genetics test that reveals whether the baby is a boy or girl. I definitely feel that I'm in the right hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment