Sunday, February 8, 2015

A Slap in the Face

December 24, 2014

Why is it OK to force a mourning mother to sit in the waiting room of the doctor’s office with pregnant mothers while she waits for her follow-up appointment after a loss?

Why is it OK to just change an already-scheduled prenatal appointment into a follow-up to a loss? That appointment already had a positive association thankyouverymuch, and so it hurts even more to drag myself to the place that makes me sit with the pregnant people!

Since I have experience with both of these from previous losses, I now know how to stand up for what I need emotionally. This time I asked to be seen at a time least likely to expose me to bulging bellies. My doctor agreed to bring me in as they were closing, although I still was forced to see two pregnant women while sitting in the waiting room. I also requested to change the appointment by one day just to avoid the extra pain of knowing what the appointment should have/would have been (my 20 week appointment that we had scheduled at 12 weeks to make sure to get a good time.)  

But I guess I feel I shouldn’t have had to learn from experience to stand up for myself. These seem like common sense. Wouldn’t a different entrance or at the very least being taken directly to the privacy of the exam room be a little more thoughtful and considerate of the situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment