Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The Elephant

December 6, 2014 

At times, Olivia seems to be an elephant in the room. We visited Troy's family for Thanksgiving, which meant I saw and spoke to people for the first time since losing Olivia. Some close family members never once mentioned my baby over the three days. I have to admit, it hurt my feelings as I waited for the conversation that never came. Sure, I cry sometimes or a tear may come to my eye when someone brings up my baby, but ignoring her existence is certainly not the answer.  

It seems some are just waiting for me to give the OK to talk about Olivia. I sent my very supportive and compassionate co-workers an email of gratitude a few weeks ago once I was composed enough to encourage conversation. Several people approached me shortly after, including two mothers who I learned had suffered their own losses in the past. I think they were waiting for me to show them it was ok to talk.

This quote by Elizabeth Edwards seems to summarize it well. I will never forget about Olivia, so please don't worry that bringing her up to me will remind me of her and make me sad.  

No comments:

Post a Comment