Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Almost

10/25/14 12:56 am

The day of the 16 week appointment, I was almost there alone. As I left school to drive to the doctor’s office in Hilliard, I tried to call Troy to make sure he remembered. Several times the phone went to voice mail. Once I arrived at the office, there were eight minutes until the appointment and I tried one more time to contact Troy. It turned out he had forgotten and was still at school in Dublin. He asked if I needed him to come and I said, “Yes. Leave right now.” I could tell he was hoping I would let him off the hook though. So I immediately called back to say that he didn’t have to come after all. I told him, “You don’t have time to get here.”

I went on in to the office, signed in, waited in the waiting room, and went back to a room by myself. I also got a flu shot while I waited to see the doctor. I was sitting in the room alone and all of a sudden, Troy was there at the door. He had misunderstood my second phone call to say, “You have time,” and had not-so-happily rushed over.  

Thank goodness for our terrible communication that afternoon. I can’t imagine receiving the news that day by myself. I can’t imagine having to tell Troy the news over the phone from the doctor’s. That would have taken the unimaginable and made it worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment